Pot de Délices .
Neither custards nor puddings, pots de crème have a silken, thick texture somewhere in between and akin to a mousse. This delicacy is both minimalist with only six simple ingredients and about 10 minutes to make. They're easy enough to customize to taste with infused liqueurs, fruit compotes, and flavor extracts. Because they refrigerate before serving, these little desserts arrives at the table fully dished and perfectly dressed.
Chocolate Pot de Crème
Yields 8 Servings // Prep Time: : 10 // Total Cook Time: : 10
+ 4 oz. 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped fine
+ 1 cup whole milk
+ 1 cup heavy cream
+ 1 tsp. vanilla
+ 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
+ 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
+ unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
+ serving ramekins / bowls / cups
+ plastic wrap
- Put finely chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan on medium, combine cream, milk, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Bring to a low simmer, taking care not to let the mixture boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth.
- As soon as the cream and milk simmer, remove from heat. Temper the eggs by pouring gradual amounts of the hot cream and milk mixture into the egg.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and whisk.
- Return to medium-low heat and whisk constantly for another minute.
- The mixture is ready to pour when thickened. An indentation into the mixture-covered spoon should be present.
- Strain the custard into the bowl containing the chopped chocolate.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 1-2 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
- Slowly whisk the mixture until glossy smooth.
- Divide the chocolate pots de crème mixture between 8 small serving containers (about ½ cup each).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the chocolate pots de crème cool and set, about 3-4 hours.
- Remove pots de crème from fridge for about 15 minutes before serving. Dust or garnish right before serving.