Aspiring Asparagus .
This hors d'oeuvres not only tastes delectable, it looks amazing and impresses every time. With only a few ingredients, this is easy prep-ahead and have warm the minute guests arrive.
Portobella Asparagus Crostini
Yields 24 Pieces // Prep Time: : 30 // Total Cook Time: : 45
+ French baguette, sliced on the diagonal ½ thick
+ 2 bunches baby asparagus, tips cut
+ portobella or baby bella mushrooms, sliced about ½ thick
+ 12 tbs. butter, 8 oz. melted and 4 oz. to sautée mushrooms
+ 1 tsp. garlic salt
+ ½ lb. fontina or other melting cheese
+ sheet pan
+ parchment paper
+ pastry brush
+ sautée pan
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a saucepan, melt 8 oz. butter and garlic salt. Stir until blended.
- Lightly toast baguette slices.
- Brush toast slices with garlic salt butter on both sides with pastry brush.
- In a sauté pan, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- Place cut mushrooms so that each full surface is flat on pan. Do not crowd the mushrooms. Cook until browned, edges turning slightly orange. Turn and cook other side.
- In a steamer, place asparagus tips and steam until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Cut fontina into wedges, approximately the same size as the width of the baguette.
- Layer the crostini, asparagus and mushroom next to each other, and place the fontina wedge over top.
- Bake just until fontina melts and begins to bubble, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool and serve.