The Taste of Fall .
Why wait for Halloween or Thanksgiving for pumpkin pie when you can enjoy the same fall flavor in a cake? This exceptionally moist fall cake embodies all things autumn: the savory taste of pumpkin, warm spices, and of course, yet another good excuse for caramel. For a nuttier flavor, add a half-cup of toasted pecans into the batter or, as I like them, a small handful on the side.
Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
Yields 1 Bundt Cake (shown here using the Nordicware 10 Cup Crown Bundt)
Prep Time: : 30 // Total Cook Time: 1:30
+ 1½ canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
+ 2½ cup flour
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 1 cup (16 tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened
+ 1 tsp. vanilla
+ 2 tbsp. baking powder
+ 1 tbsp. baking soda
+ 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
+ 1 tsp. ground ginger
+ 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
+ ½ tsp. ground cloves
+ ¾ cup buttermilk
+ 1 cup granulated sugar
+ ¾ cup light brown sugar
+ 4 large eggs
+ shortening and flour to grease pan (I prefer BakKlene ZT found at Williams Sonoma)
+ 2½ cups (20 tbsp.) salted butter
+ 1 cup confectioners sugar
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
+ 1 tsp. pure almond extract
+ finely ground almonds (if desired)
+ 2 tbsp. real maple syrup
+ 3½ cups flour
+ standing or hand mixer
+ bundt or cake pan
+ sifter or whisk
+ 2 mixing bowls (in addition to a third large bowl to blend all ingredients together)
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Grease and flour pan.
- In a bowl (not your mixing bowl), sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a second bowl (not your mixing bowl), mix together pumpkin, buttermilk, vanilla.
- In a mixer bowl, cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending well.
- Add half the pumpkin mixture, half the flour mixture, the remaining pumpkin mixture, then the remaining flour mixture. Mix until well blended and smooth.
- Pour batter into pan, tapping on countertop a few times to release bubbles.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, checking for clean toothpick beginning at about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool completely before releasing from pan.
- Enjoy with caramel drizzle and chopped pecans.